This research has highlighted six broad transitions in local policy and practice that can help local authorities advance and embed local participatory democracy:
- Equalising participation opportunities for residents.
- Building sustained participation journeys for residents.
- Delegating decision-making authority to residents.
- Embedding participation as standard practice.
- Engaging residents in partnership with the voluntary, community and social enterprise sector.
- Securing broad support for participation, within and beyond public authorities.
The report details these transitions and gives practical guidance and priority recommendations.